Chia Seeds (Salvia Hispanica), is considered a superfood. It is very versatile, moderately priced and easy to digest. It contains essential fatty acids (alpha linolenic, linoleic acid, vitamins A, B, D, E, strontium, mucin. It also contains such minerals as sulphur, thiamine, niacine, magnesium, manganese, and iodine. It is high in anti oxidants. It provides fibre and protein. It is a good source of Omega oils.
Benefits of Eating Chia Seeds
- healthy skin
- reduces signs of ageing
- supports good cardiovascular health
- supports good digestive health
- improves bone and muscles formation
- helps manage some forms of diabetes
- helps manage dental health
- helps support breast care
- helps reduce inflammation
- helps with insomnia
- you pets can eat chia seeds too
- helps strengthen the immune system
- cleanses the colon
How do you eat chia seeds?
- sprinkle on soups
- sprinkle on smoothies
- add to yoghurt
- soak and eat as dessert
Side Effects of Eating Chia Seeds
- if not soaked before consumption, you need to drink a lot of water as it absorbs water in your system.
- check with your Health Care Practitioner if you are able to eat chia seeds in your diet.
Illian, Travis G, Casey, Casey, Jason C; Bishop, Philip A Omega 3 Chia Seed Loading as a means of carbohydrate loading Journal of Strength and Conditioning Jan 2011 - Vol 25 Issue 1 p 61-65